About The Artist
I am an expressionist artist with emphasis on the figure. I consider each of my paintings as a visual poem of love, a poem of hope, a poem of melancholy – poems that depict and capture the expression and the mood of the figure.
I want my art to transcend the viewer into another realm – a thoughtful and intellectual realm.
In my figurative work, I aim to create an intimate, deep and thought-provoking dialogue between the audience and the artwork. In simple words, my artwork has to speak on its own and grab the viewer’s attention in an intellectual and cognitive way.
In defining my artwork, I paint the figure in an expressionistic way with emphasis on the portrait, the twist and position of the body, hands and the certain mood that the colors of the painting give the figure. My artwork illustrates the physiological state of being of the figure. I consider myself an artist of feelings. I paint the deep emotions that occupy the mind and sometimes clutter the mind. Feelings such as love, despair and uncertainty are some of the emotions that I depict in my work. I use my figure or the sitter as vehicle to transport my feelings about a certain situation, which can be seen or felt through the stories of world’s news, or a private matter that perplexes my mind. Although my paintings mirror how I feel about a certain matter, they are not self-portraits since I use a specific model that I am inspired by. Consequently, in my paintings, I want to make a statement or illustrate a feeling through the expression of the figure. Thus, I try to present a certain mood; it can be a certain mysterious shy smile or a sad and lonely look. The titles of the artwork help define that thought and what it means.
Vian Shamounki Borchert is an award winning contemporary artist who has shown both internationally and nationally in many group and solo exhibitions. The National Gallery of Art in Amman, Jordan and The Jerusalem Fund Gallery, Washington, DC have her artwork in their permanent collection. Vian is a graduate from The Corcoran College of Art and Design, Washington, D.C. and has a Master Web Design degree.
Vian's expressionistic and abstracted art illustrates a poetic mood and a thoughtful journey in the world of painting. Vian's artwork has been recently on display at the United Nations General Assembly, Public Lobby Gallery, NYC, NY.
Vian exhibited in many solo and group exhibitions in places such as:
- The Corcoran Gallery of Art
- The French Cultural Center in Amman, Jordan
- Georgetown University Medical Center
- The Contemporary Museum of Art in Georgetown
- The Behnke Nurseries Company
- The Jerusalem Fund Gallery
- Cairo Amman Bank Art Gallery
- Strathmore Mansion
- Maryland Federation of Art's Circle Gallery
- The National Gallery of Art, Amman, Jordan
- RAW DC "Activate", Washington, DC
- The Stone Tower in Glen Echo Park
- The Yellow Barn Gallery
- Art Soirée's "Art Metamorphosis", Georgetown, Washington, DC
- DC Arts Center
- (e)merge Art Fair, Washington, DC
- United Nations General Assembly
- Art Soirée's "Winter Wonderland", Washington, DC
- Ritz-Carlton in Georgetown, organized and hosted by Art Soirée
- Nuit Blanche DC
- Sultan Bin Ali Al Owais Cultural Foundation in Dubai, U.A.E.
- Popcorn Gallery, Glen Echo Park
- Butterfly Fine Art Gallery, Manchester, UK
- Art & Sol Studios Gallery, Wynwood Art District, Miami
- The Monroe Trust Artist Collective, Washington, DC
Vian has been part of many DC Art Events such as “Art Metamorphosis” Event/Exhibit by Art Soirée, “Midsummer Night's Dream” Event Art by Soirée in Georgetown, DC, “Paint The Music” at Atlas Performing Arts Center, Washington, DC.
Moreover, Vian contributes and writes art articles for online newspaper Gaithersburg “Patch”.
Vian's artwork has been featured in numerous press such as The Washington Post, “DC Modern Luxury” magazine, The Huffington Post, NPR's Art Beat, The Gazette, The Town Courier, The Washington Report, MC Insight magazine, HERLIFE Magazine DC, MANIERA District Magazine, and others.
Vian currently teaches art classes in Watercolor, Acrylic and Drawing to adults at The Gaithersburg Arts Barn, MD and at the Yellow Barn Studio & Gallery, Glen Echo, MD.